Friday 18 October 2013

Raku , Joy & Happiness.

Results from my first Raku firing

Joy / Happiness

Raku is a type of pottery originating from Japan meaning Joy happiness and is traditionally used in the Japanese tea ceremony, most often in the form of tea bowls, they are fairly porous vessels, the results can be amazing depending on what type of glaze etc. so I think I shall be experimenting !!! oh yes.

 

Results from my first Raku firing


 
 
October has been very busy and living in a very rural area sourcing materials can be difficult, so I jumped at the offer from my potter friend Rob Farrar saying he would be going to our pottery supplier in Valencia and do I want him to get a ready made Raku glaze for me ! And as I didn't really want to make my own Raku glaze (at this point) this was ideal.
 
 
 
 
Overall I am pleased with the results although I have a lot to learn about putting the glaze on at the correct thickness etc and  I probably fired the pots for a little too long.
 
 
 
Pots glazed ready for firing

My small bisque / raku kiln during firing.
 
So I shall take this firing and hopefully improve, but I must say I have so enjoyed the process and find it fascinating.

 

Maggie beavering away with what she calls a scrap quilt
 
 

 
 I suggested it was a chaos quilt only to be told wait until its finished my dear !!! ha

 

 
I am looking forward to the end result and If I can produce ceramic pots as well as her scrap quilt I will be a happy chap.
 
Till the next time !
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 




3 comments:

  1. Brave man with that chaos suggestion!

    I'm finding your pottery experiments fascinating....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, yes brave indeed ! Thanks, glad you are enjoying, Adrian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew you 'pottered' until now.. have fun and do keep us up to date how it goes.

    ReplyDelete