Saturday 6 September 2014

First glaze firing

So it's been a while ! busy busy busy ? Work rest and play and all ! 

I have today been unpacking my first full glaze firing in my new kiln that has been slightly modified ie the burners have been raised and the inlet for the burners have been reduced , y'day was hectic started firing at 12 pm and finished at 10.40 pm ish slow climb in temp reducing around 950c even slower then till 1270c followed by a 1/2hr soak at that temp opened the kiln this evening found mostly good pots although there was a few that didn't make the grade ha ! 

Learning to pot / throw / turn etc has been very enjoyable and I have taken to it very well and had some great encouragement on the way from all, but for me the hardest curve (that I am still driving) is the chemistry, glazing, I'm sure I will enjoy eventually ! ' Won't I ' .

I do feel out of my comfort zone ! 

I have copied a couple of glaze recipes that are successfully for other potters , the results are mostly good and I can only strive to improve.

Here is a photo of me unpacking my kiln.


Cheers

Till the next time 

4 comments: